20 years ago in Nexus: November 13, 2013 issue

Columns November 13, 2013

The ol’ reliable: A common theme when looking through old issues of newspapers is, well, common themes. For a student newspaper, lots of the same things remain relevant no matter how much time passes. For example, parking fees. In our November 15, 1993 issue, an opinion piece titled “Student parking: the shocking truth” decried having to pay for parking at Camosun. The rate that had the writer upset? 25 cents an hour.

Well, at least we’re always honest: Time proved Tim Burton’s A Nightmare Before Christmas to be a classic, but in this issue we gave it a lukewarm review. Writer Shellene McConnell ended the review by saying that “a thin story line and an abrupt ending leaves the viewer expecting more. If it’s commercialism you want, this movie delivers.”

Speaking up, and out: In our Speak Up column, we asked, “Why do you think youth violence is a problem?” The answers were shockingly candid, if not perhaps a bit ill advised. One student said that “É in North America we don’t have any morals or ethics like other cultures do.” Another said that youth violence wasn’t a problem here like it was in the US, where they had, he said, “É guns, grenades, and rocket launchers. Here they’re not blowing people up.” Well, we do lose rocket launchers now and again…