What’s Going On: March 21 to April 3, 2018

Arts March 21, 2018

Monday, March 19
Paint your heart out!
Swing by the Hawk & Hen, located at 531 Yates Street, for an evening of art, cocktails, and fun from 7 pm until 9 pm. Local artists will help rookie painters make an art piece worth keeping. Tickets are $47.25; see paintnite.com for more info.

Thursday, March 22
Boys in Victoria
Legendary record producer and rapper DJ Yella is coming to Victoria, with rapper Lil Eazy-E. Lil Eazy-E will be performing some of the music of his father, Eazy-E, along with his own songs. Tickets are $20; for details on this and other events, visit strathconahotel.com.

This story originally appeared in the March 21, 2018 issue of Nexus.

Thursday, March 22
Burger and a beer
Camosun Marketing students are hosting a series of events in March, the first of which is Blazers Beer and Burger Night; the funds raised from the events will go to the Victoria International Education Development Agency (VIDEA)’s contributions to the 2018 Rural Youth Exposure Conference, to be held in Zambia later this year. This event is from 6 pm until 11 pm at Moon Under Water Pub, located at 350 Bay Street. Tickets are $25; find VIDEA on Facebook for more info.

Thursday, March 22
Immerse yourself in African culture
Come out from 6 pm until 9 pm for an evening of live African music and an Ethiopian buffet-style dinner at the Blue Nile African Restaurant, located at 612 Head Street. A feature presentation from VIDEA (see “Burger and a beer” event, March 22) will be included in the night, as well as a silent auction. Tickets are $50 through emailing rubysu420@gmail.com or $55 through Eventbrite.

Friday, March 23
Those rascals!
Victoria-based rock group Band of Rascals comes to Capital Ballroom this month after a successful 2017. Tickets go for $15; for more details on this and other upcoming concerts, visit atomiqueproductions.com.

Friday, March 23
Strutting for a purpose
A non-profit fashion show will take place at Bayview Place Presentation Centre, located at 80 Saghalie Road, on March 23. Models will strut stuff from numerous fashion lines and brands; there will also be a silent auction. The proceeds will go to VIDEA (see “Burger and a beer” event, March 22). Doors are at 7 pm; tickets start at $25 and can be obtained by contacting Anneke Feuermann at 250-507-0656 or annekepl10@gmail.com.

Friday, March 23
Support student papers!
UVic’s independent student newspaper The Martlet is having a 70th-anniversary gala dinner to fundraise for new computers, printers, and to upgrade their website. The gala will feature an exhibit of the paper’s history; it takes place in the Temple building at 525 Fort Street from 6 pm until 9 pm. Advance tickets are $10. Search “Martlet gala” on Facebook to find the lowdown.

Friday, March 23 and Saturday, March 24
Nightlife of Paris
The Victoria Django Festival is back for its seventh season of 1920s and ’30s music and dance. Named in honour of Django Reinhardt, the festival will transform White Eagle Hall into a hot club cabaret sporting a dance floor, bistro, and even an underground speakeasy stage. Tickets range from $20 to $40; for more info about the festival, visit ticketrocket.co/event/season/238.

Saturday, March 24
Mozart and reconciliation
St. Matthias Anglican Church will be hosting an evening of music, narration, and video focusing on the struggles of First Nations peoples from the past. Tickets range from $14 to $18, and proceeds go toward the Vancouver-based non-profit group Reconciliation Canada. For more details, visit ticketrocket.co/event/details/104163/reconciliation-and-mozart.

Sunday, March 25
Mexican music and more
Music, prizes, and a silent auction are just some of the things that Arriba 4 Zambia will have in store on Sunday, March 25. The event takes place from 7:30 pm until 9:30 pm. Tickets include a beer and burrito and are $25. The proceeds will go to VIDEA (see “Burger and a beer” event, March 22). Tickets are available through arriba4zambia@gmail.com or can be purchased at the venue, La Taquisa, which is located at 1017 Blanshard Street.

Thursday, March 29
Checking in with America
The United States Consulate General in Vancouver is hosting a pop-up Consulate for American Citizens Services at UVic this month. The pop-up will offer passport applications and notarial services. The service requires an appointment and a fee; for appointments and questions, email vancouveracs@state.gov.