Camosun College Student Society election nomination period open

Web Exclusive News

The Camosun College Student Society (CCSS) is having its spring 2021 student elections from April 12 to 14. The nomination period is from March 12 to March 25, and the campaign period is from March 28 to April 9.

CCSS external executive Quinn Cunningham says that while the past couple elections were a bit different as they were the first where the CCSS was doing online-only elections and campaigning, things are getting a bit more solidified.

“Those who are running in this election definitely have some feet on the ground to run with instead of the experimental elections we’ve had the past two cycles, I think,” he says.

Camosun College Student Society external executive Quinn Cunningham (photo provided).

Cunningham says that it’s taken everyone a while to adjust to campaigning online.

“I do believe it’s harder to get students to look online,” he says. “Campaigning online is so much harder than being able to be on campus and maybe sit down with someone who’s outside having a coffee… It poses a challenge to those running.”

Cunningham says that CCSS elections are the Camosun student membership’s opportunity to voice who they want representing them.

“It’s a great opportunity to help create a diverse board of students who are there to represent you, and the value is that those students meet monthly for [CCSS] board meetings, but all of them have different responsibilities within those roles, and we’re constantly doing stuff throughout the month on an individual basis,” he says.

Cunningham points to the many different committees he attends, locally, provincially, and federally.

“[Student politicians] make sure the student voice is being heard and actively try to make change so that students have a better life on campus,” he says.

Given Camosun’s recent announcement that it will be returning to in-person learning in September, Cunningham says there is space in this election for those who are running—he is not—to tackle what they feel a return to campus should look like for students.

“I think there’s a lot of room for people to shape their election platform around that,” says Cunningham. “I do think once they start protocols being followed when we get [back to campus], I think this new board’s going to have the opportunity to actually have meetings on campus and start engaging with students on campus. It’s going to radically change things.”

Students running should be cognizant of the fact that what campus looks this September will probably be different from what it looks like next September, particularly because so many students are in two-year programs and are at the college for a short period of time, says Cunningham.

“Because we have a short time at Camosun for a lot of us, asking questions so that you’re able to do what you’re trying to do in the most effective manner and in the most timely manner is so important,” he says.

Even if you’re not interested in running for any positions, says Cunningham, students can still make sure their voice is heard.

“If you’re not interested in running, voting is the quickest, simplest way to make sure that someone is representing you at that table who shares the same opinions as you.”

The positions that are open in the election are pride director, women’s director, finance executive, external executive, Lansdowne executive, Interurban executive, student wellness and access director, sustainability director, international director, First Nations director, and Lansdowne director.

For further information on nomination, see camosunstudent.org and watch for our upcoming election coverage.